The Stonewall Jackson Area Council (SJAC) is the local council of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) that serves Scouts in areas of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia and West Virginia and areas of central Virginia.
The first council in the area was the Staunton Council, formed in 1921 and failed in 1924. The Stonewall Jackson Council was organized in Waynesboro, Virginia in 1927. The council is named after General Stonewall Jackson, one of the most famous residents of the area. The Lewis & Clark Council was formed in Charlottesville in 1927; it failed in 1931 and folded into the Stonewall Jackson Council. The council was later renamed to the Stonewall Jackson Area Council. The first Scout executive was J.W. Fix who served from 1927 to 1950. Fix had joined Scouting as a youth in 1911 and was an Eagle Scout.
The council is part of Area 7 of the Southern Region of the BSA. The council service center is in Waynesboro, Virginia and employs seven paid professional Scouters and an office staff. SJAC is divided into four districts:
- Massanutten District: Harrisonburg; Rockingham and Pendleton counties
- Monticello District: Charlottesville; Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison and Orange counties
- Southern District: Buena Vista, Covington, Clifton Forge, Lexington; Alleghany, Bath and Rockbridge counties
- Valley District: Staunton, Waynesboro; Augusta and Highland counties
Since 2006, the council has hosted the annual Venturing Shootaround in partnership with the National Rifle Association. The event is for Venturers and senior Boy Scouts and offers pistol, rifle, shotgun, black powder and archery.
Camp Shenandoah was first established in 1930 near McGaheysville, Virginia and moved to its present site near Swoope, Virginia in 1950. With expansions in 1999, the camp property is now 454 acres (1.84 km2 ) located on the eastern slope of Little North Mountain. The west side of the camp borders on the George Washington National Forest and north, east and south sides bordering on agricultural areas of Swoope. A hunter access road runs through the camp. Three creeks run through the camp, supplying the small man-made Hope Lake. A portion of the new property on the north side has been placed into the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program and is being restored from an agricultural to a natural state. The camp suffered major damage during the June 2012 North American derecho, resulting in the temporary closure of the camp. Due to the fortunate circumstance of the entirety of the camp's staffers and attendees already being gathered in the dining hall, no one was injured.
The camp is primarily used by units within the council, but is available to other Scouting units and youth groups and is used year-round.
The camp ranger has a house just outside the camp entrance. The camp office includes the health lodge where emergency health care is provided during summer camp. The dining hall seats up to 300 people and includes the kitchen and food storage facilities, a staff lounge and restrooms for visitors. The trading post is a camp store that sells snacks, souvenirs, craft materials and other items during summer camp; attached is a storage room. The maintenance area includes the workshop, quartermaster storage, a shed for tractor and equipment storage, and equipment for the welding merit badge. The parade field provides an area where campers assemble for flag ceremonies and other activities. The Lockridge Chapel is open-air with benches for seating. The shower house has facilities for male and female, youth and adult campers. Water is provided from a well-fed water tower and sewage is processed on-site.
The camp has 15 tent camp sites, each with running water and a latrine and most with a small pavilion. Unimproved areas are available for outpost camping.
The Colonel Morris T. Warner, Jr. Rifle Range, the shotgun range and the archery range are located on OA Ridge; a separate black powder range can be set up as needed. As of 2015 handguns have been integrated, and concealed carry certification is offered to adults attending camp. The climbing area has a climbing tower and has high and low ropes courses set up during summer camp. The waterfront has a swim area, canoes and rowboats.
The summer camp program provides opportunities for a range of merit badges in the areas of Scoutcraft, Handicraft, aquatics, nature, STEM, and shooting sports. Other programs include hikes to Elliott Knob and a high adventure program. Scout leaders can take supplemental training in aquatics and boating safety and in CPR. New Scouts can participate in programs designed to help work towards First Class Scout.
The camp has been used as a base for the Grindstone 100 Miler ultramarathon since 2008.
The Order of the Arrow is represented by the Shenandoah Lodge. It supports the Scouting programs of the Stonewall Jackson Area Council through leadership, camping, and service. The lodge is organized as four chapters:
- Achewon Allohak: Southern District
- Monocan: Massanutten District
- Saponi: Monticello District
- Nagatamen: Valley District